Assemble Quilt Center
1. Lay out star blocks and Irish Chain blocks in five rows, alternating blocks (Quilt Assembly Diagram). Sew together blocks in each row. Press seams toward star blocks.
2. Join rows to make quilt center. Press seams in one direction. The quilt center should be 50-1⁄2" square including seam allowances.
1. Cut and piece dark green print 1-1⁄2 ×42" strips to make:
• 2—1-1⁄2 ×52-1⁄2" inner border strips
• 2—1-1⁄2 ×50-1⁄2" inner border strips
2. Sew short inner border strips to opposite edges of quilt center. Add long inner border strips to remaining edges. Press all seams toward border.
3. Sew short black floral middle border strips to opposite edges of quilt center. Sew long black floral middle border strips to remaining edges. Press all seams toward middle border.
4. Sew short plum damask print outer border strips to opposite edges of quilt center. Add long plum damask print outer border strips to remaining edges to complete quilt top. Press all seams toward outer border.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste.
2. Quilt as desired. Janet-Lee Santeusanio machine-quilted in the ditch of the star blocks (Quilting Diagram). She quilted tiny feather designs in the star blocks’ red-orange print diamonds and two different fleur-de-lis designs in the Irish Chain blocks and outer border.
3. Bind with plum damask print binding strips.