Assemble Irish Chain Blocks
1. Referring to Diagram 5, join a black floral 1-3⁄4 ×42" strip and a plum damask print 1-3⁄4 ×42" strip to make strip set A. Press seam toward black floral. Cut strip set into 24—1-3⁄4"-wide A segments.
2. Sew together two A segments to make a plum-and-black Four-Patch unit (Diagram 6). Press seam in one direction. The Four-Patch unit should be 3" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make 12 plum-and-black Four-Patch units total.
3. Using ivory toile strips instead of plum damask print, repeat Step 1 to make two B strip sets, cutting them into a total of 48—1-3⁄4"-wide B segments. Using B segments, repeat Step 2 to make 24 black-and-ivory Four-Patch units (Diagram 7).
4. Using ivory toile strips instead of black floral, repeat Step 1 to make two C strip sets, cutting them into a total of 48—1-3⁄4"-wide C segments. Using C segments, repeat Step 2 to make 24 plum-and-ivory Four-Patch units (Diagram 8).
5. Referring to Diagram 9, join a black floral 1-3⁄4 ×42" strip, an ivory toile 3×42" strip, and a plum damask print 1-3⁄4 ×42" strip to make strip set D. Press seams away from ivory toile strip. Cut strip set into 24—1-3⁄4"-wide D segments.
6. Referring to Diagram 10, sew ivory toile 1-3⁄4×3" rectangles to opposite edges of a plum-and-black Four-Patch unit. Press seams toward Four-Patch unit. Add a D segment to top and bottom edges of plum-and-black Four-Patch to make a chain block center. Press seams toward D segments. The chain block center should be 5-1⁄2" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make 12 chain block centers total.
7. Referring to Diagram 11, sew together two black-and-ivory Four-Patch units, two plum-and-ivory Four-Patch units, four ivory toile 3×5-1⁄2" rectangles, and one chain block center in three rows. Press seams toward ivory toile rectangles. Join rows to make an Irish Chain block. Press seams toward outer rows. The block should be 10-1⁄2" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make 12 Irish Chain blocks total.