Click on "Download This Project" to download the full-size foundation patterns. Print out each foundation pattern 64 times on printable foundation-piecing material. (Or trace each pattern 64 times onto lightweight tracing paper, tracing all lines and numbers.) Cut out on outer dashed lines to make foundation papers.
1. For a Body Unit, you’ll need five dark purple print small triangles, a blue leaf print small triangle, a pale blue print 1-3/4x5-1/2" rectangle, and a dark blue floral large triangle (Diagram 1).
2. With right sides together, layer a dark purple print small triangle atop a blue leaf print small triangle, aligning triangles' short edges. Put a Body Unit foundation paper atop dark purple print piece, positioning fabric under area 1 and aligned edges 1/4" beyond stitching line between areas 1 and 2 (Diagram 2). To check placement, pin through all layers on stitching line and flip blue leaf print piece open. It should completely cover area 2 and extend at least 1/4" on all sides. If it doesn’t, reposition pieces and check again. With foundation paper on top, use a short stitch to sew on first stitching line through all layers.
3. Trim seam allowance to 1/4" and press blue leaf print piece open (Diagram 3). Trim both triangles to scant 1/4" beyond adjacent stitching lines and even with edges of foundation paper.
4. With right sides together, position another dark purple print small triangle under trimmed blue leaf print piece with triangle’s short edge 1/4" beyond second stitching line (between areas 2 and 3). Sew on second stitching line (Diagram 4). Trim seam allowances to scant 1/4", press dark purple print piece open, and trim edges to scant 1/4" beyond adjacent stitching lines (Diagram 5).
5. Continue adding pieces in numerical order, trimming and pressing after each addition. Trim all fabric pieces even with foundation paper edges. With blunt edge of seam ripper, remove foundation paper to make a pieced Body Unit. The Body Unit should be 4-1/2" square including seam allowances.