Make Sashing Units
1. Referring to Diagram 9, sew together six assorted 2-1⁄2x3-1⁄2" rectangles in a row to make a sashing unit. Press seams in one direction. The sashing unit should be 12-1⁄2x3-1⁄2" including seam allowances.
2. Repeat Step 1 to make 49 sashing units total.
Assemble Quilt Center
1. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, lay out all blocks, all sashing units, and 30 sashing squares in 11 horizontal rows. Sew together pieces in each row. Press seams toward blocks. (To prevent show through, trim sashing seams to a scant 1⁄4".)
2. Join rows to make quilt center. Press seams in one direction. The quilt center should be 63-1⁄2x78-1⁄2" including seam allowances.
Sew solid white 3-1⁄2x78-1⁄2" border strips to long edges of quilt center. Add solid white 3-1⁄2x69-1⁄2" border strips to remaining edges to complete quilt top. Press all seams toward border.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste.
2. Quilt as desired. Jennifer machine-quilted a diagonal grid of straight lines spaced 2" apart in one direction and 3" apart in the other over the entire surface of her quilt.
3. Bind with solid blue binding strips.