Assemble Quilt Top
1. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, lay out blocks in four vertical rows, starting and ending odd-numbered rows with A blocks. Sew together blocks in rows. Press seams open. Join rows to make quilt center; press seams open. The quilt center should be 48-1⁄2" square including seam allowances.
2. Cut and piece pink floral 2×42" strips to make:
• 2—2×51-1⁄2" inner border strips
• 2—2×48-1⁄2" inner border strips
3. Sew short pink floral inner border strips to opposite edges of quilt center. Add long pink floral inner border strips to remaining edges. Press all seams toward inner border.
4. Cut and piece green floral 5-1⁄4×42" strips to make:
• 2—5-1⁄4×61" outer border strips
• 2—5-1⁄4×51-1⁄2" outer border strips
5. Sew short green floral outer border strips to opposite edges of quilt center. Add long green floral outer border strips to remaining edges to complete quilt top. Press all seams toward outer border.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste.
2. Quilt as desired. Machine-quilter Cheryl Duncan used two layers of batting—a wool and Hobbs 80/20. In the block portions she quilted a traditional design that fits the points of the pieced blocks, and in the outer border she quilted a feather motif (Quilting Diagram). “The background looked like latticework to me, so I followed the piecing and used a ruler to quilt a crosshatch pattern,” Cheryl says.
3. Bind quilt with green floral binding strips.