Assemble the Blocks
1. For one Monkey Wrench block you'll need four triangles and one 1-3/4" square in the same dark (or medium) print, four triangles in the same light print, four 1-3/4" squares in the same light print, and four 1-3/4" squares in the same dark (or medium) print.
2. Sew together one dark print triangle and one light print triangle to make a triangle-square (see Diagram 1). Press the seam allowance toward the dark print triangle. The pieced triangle-square should measure 3" square, including the seam allowances. Repeat to make a total of four triangle-squares.
3. Referring to Diagram 2, join one dark print 1-3/4" square and one light print 1-3/4" square to make a rectangle unit. Press the seam allowance toward the dark print square. The pieced rectangle unit should measure 1-3/4x3", including the seam allowances. Repeat to make a total of four rectangle units.
4. Referring to Diagram 3, lay out the four triangle-squares, the four rectangle units, and the dark print 1-3/4" square in three horizontal rows. Sew together the pieces in each row. Press the seam allowances in one direction, alternating the direction with each row. Join the rows to make a Monkey Wrench block. Press the seam allowances in one direction. The pieced Monkey Wrench block should measure 6-3/4" square, including the seam allowances.
5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 to make a total of 49 Monkey Wrench blocks.