Cut and Assemble Units
To make the best use of your fabrics, cut the pieces in the order that follows. To be most efficient in cutting and piecing, the following instructions yield two identical Delectable Mountains units. Repeat the cutting and assembly steps to make a total of 124 Delectable Mountains units (you will have four leftover units for a pillow).
From one assorted pink, purple, blue, teal, or green print, cut:
1--4-7/8" square, cutting it in half diagonally for a total of 2 medium triangles
6--2-7/8" squares, cutting each in half diagonally for a total of 12 small triangles
From one assorted white or cream print, cut:
1--8-7/8" square, cutting it in half diagonally for a total of 2 large triangles
4--2-7/8" squares, cutting each in half diagonally for a total of 8 small triangles
1. To make one unit, you'll need one medium triangle and six small triangles from the same pink, purple, blue, teal, or green print; and one large triangle, four small triangles, and one 2-1/2" square from the same white or cream print. For this unit we used blue print and white print pieces.
2. Sew together one blue print small triangle and one white print small triangle to make a small triangle-square (see Diagram 1). Press the seam allowance toward the blue print triangle. The pieced small triangle-square should measure 2-1/2" square, including the seam allowances. Repeat to make a total of four small triangle-squares.
3. Referring to Diagram 2 for placement, lay out the four small triangle-squares, two blue print small triangles, one blue print medium triangle, and one white print 2-1/2" square in rows.
4. Sew together the pieces in each row. Press the seam allowances in one direction. Then join the rows to adjacent short edges of the blue print medium triangle to make a Delectable Mountains subunit. Press the seam allowances toward the blue print medium triangle.
5. Add a white print large triangle to the long edge of the Delectable Mountains subunit to make a Delectable Mountains unit (see Diagram 3). Press the seam allowance toward the white triangle. The pieced Delectable Mountains unit should measure 8-1/2" square, including the seam allowances.
6. Repeat steps 1 through 5 with the remaining pieces to make a second Delectable Mountains unit.