Assemble Quilt Center
1. Join a navy polka dot extra-small triangle and a solid white extra-small triangle to make an extra-small triangle-square (Diagram 9). Press seam toward navy triangle. The triangle-square should be 1-1⁄2" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make 32 extra-small triangle-squares total.
2. Lay out four extra-small triangle-squares, four solid white 1-1⁄2" squares, and a navy polka dot 1-1⁄2" square in three rows (Diagram 10). Join pieces in each row; press seams in one direction, alternating direction with each row. Join rows to make a star block. Press seams in one direction. The star block should be 3-1⁄2" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make eight star blocks total.
3. Sew blue tone-on-tone 1-1⁄2×16-1⁄2" sashing strips to top and bottom edges of center block (Quilt Assembly Diagram). Press seams toward sashing.
4. Referring to Diagram 11, join four star blocks and three solid white 1-1⁄2×3-1⁄2" rectangles in a row, alternating blocks and rectangles. Press seams toward solid white rectangles. Sew a solid white 1×3-1⁄2" rectangle to each end of row to make a star block sashing row. Press seams toward solid white rectangles. The row should be 3-1⁄2×16-1⁄2" including seam allowances. Repeat to make a second star block sashing row.
5. Join star block sashing rows to top and bottom edges of center block (Quilt Assembly Diagram). Press seams toward blue tone-on-tone sashing strips.
6. Sew blue tone-on-tone 1-1⁄2×28-1⁄2" sashing strips to side edges of center block (Quilt Assembly Diagram). Join blue tone-on-tone 1-1⁄2×18-1⁄2" sashing strips to remaining edges to make quilt center. Press all seams toward sashing strips. The quilt center should be 18-1⁄2×30-1⁄2" including seam allowances.