Assemble Center Block
1. Sew together a solid white medium triangle and a navy polka dot medium triangle to make a medium triangle-square (Diagram 1). Press seam toward navy polka dot. The triangle-square should be 3-1⁄2" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make a second medium triangle-square.
2. Referring to Diagram 2, join medium triangle-squares to navy polka dot 3-1⁄2×8-1⁄2" rectangle to make boat bottom unit. Press seams toward rectangle.
3. Referring to Diagram 3, join a solid white extra-large triangle to a blue large boat print extra-large triangle to make a right-hand sail rectangle. Press seam toward blue triangle.
4. Sew solid white 1-1⁄2×8" rectangle to bottom edge of right-hand sail rectangle. Then sew blue tone-on-tone 1×10-1⁄2" strip to left side edge of sail rectangle to make a right sail section (Diagram 4). Press seams toward added rectangles.
5. Referring to Diagram 5, join solid white and white polka dot large triangles to make a left-hand sail rectangle; press seam toward polka dot triangle.
6. Join solid white 2×6-1⁄2" rectangle to bottom edge of left-hand sail rectangle. Add solid white 1-1⁄2×6-1⁄2" rectangle to top edge to make a left sail section (Diagram 6). Press seams toward added rectangles.
7. Referring to Diagram 7, join sail sections to make sails unit; press seam toward blue tone-on-tone strip. Join sails unit to boat bottom unit to make pieced boat. Press seams toward boat bottom.
8. Referring to Diagram 8, sew a solid white 1-1⁄2×14-1⁄2" rectangle to top of pieced boat. Press seam toward solid white rectangle. Then sew solid white 1-1⁄2×14-1⁄2" rectangles to side edges of pieced boat. Join blue wave print 5-1⁄2×16-1⁄2" rectangle to bottom of pieced boat and solid white 1-1⁄2×16-1⁄2" rectangle to top edge to make center block. Press all seams toward added rectangles. The center block should be 16-1⁄2×20-1⁄2" including seam allowances.
9. Using thread that matches appliqués and turning under seam allowances as you go, hand-appliqué A flag and B circle to center block (Diagram 8).