1. Use a pencil to mark a diagonal line on wrong side of each white print, stripe, or polka dot 4 -1/2" square.
2. For one block, gather a set of eight marked matching white print 4 -1/2" squares, two 8- 1/2" squares from one yellow print or solid, and two 8 -1/2" squares from a second yellow print or solid.
3. Align a marked white print or solid square with one corner of yellow print 8 -1/2" square (Diagram 1; note direction of drawn line). Sew on the drawn line; trim excess, leaving a 1/4" seam allowance. Press open attached triangle.
4. Align a marked white print or solid square with opposite corner of yellow print square (Diagram 1; again note direction of drawn line). Stitch, trim, and press as before to make a Floating Star unit. The unit should be 8 -1/2" square including seam allowances.
5. Repeat steps 2 and 3 to make four Floating Star units total.
6. Referring to Diagram 2, join Floating Star units in pairs. Press seams in opposite directions. Join pairs to make a yellow-and-white block. Press seam in one direction. The block should be 16 -1/2" square including seam allowances.
7. Repeat steps 1 through 6 with remaining print and solid 8 -1/2" squares and white print, stripe, and polka-dot 4 -1/2" squares to make two yellow, two green, two orange, and two gray blocks total.
8. Repeat steps 1 through 6 using gray print 4 -1/2" squares and pink print 8 -1/2" squares to make two pink blocks (Diagram 3).
9. Join long edges of two pink print 4 -1/2x8- 1/2" rectangles to make a pink pieced square (Diagram 4). Press seam in one direction. The pieced square should be 8 -1/2" square including seam allowances. Repeat with green, orange, and gray print rectangles to make four pieced squares total (one in each colorway).
10. Repeat steps 3 and 4 using the pink pieced square and two marked matching white print squares to make a Floating Star unit. Repeat with remaining pieced squares to make four total Floating Star units (Diagram 5).
11. Referring to Diagram 6, repeat Step 6 with pink, green, orange, and gray Floating Star units to make a multicolor block.
12. Join assorted yellow print 4 -1/2x8 -1/2" rectangles in pairs to make two yellow pieced squares. Repeat steps 3–6 using yellow pieced squares, solid yellow 8- 1/2" squares, and eight marked matching white print 4-1/2" squares to make a third yellow block.