Assemble the Baby Boy Quilt Center
1. Sew blue tone-on-tone print 2-1/2x8-1/2" rectangles to opposite short edges of the green tone-on-tone print 8-1/2x10-1/2" appliqué foundation (Block Assembly Diagram). Sew blue tone-on-tone print 2-1/2x14-1/2" rectangles to remaining edges to make a center block. The center block should be 14-1/2x12-1/2" including seam allowances. Press all seams toward blue tone on-tone print.
2. Lay out the center block, blue print and green print rectangles, and blue tone-on-tone print sashing strips (Quilt Assembly Diagram). Join the pieces in sections and the sections in rows. Press all seams toward the sashing strips. Join the rows to make the quilt center. Press seams in one direction. The quilt center should be 29-1/2x36-1/2" including seam allowances.
Add Border and Appliqué Monogram for Baby Boy Quilt
1. Sew the blue tone-on-tone print 3-1/2x36-1/2" border strips to quilt center's long edges. Sew blue tone-on-tone print 3-1/2x35-1/2" border strips to remaining edges to complete the quilt top. Press all seams toward border.
2. Position appliqué pieces A and B on the center block; baste. Working from the bottom layer to the top, needle-turn appliqué the pieces in place.
Finish Baby Boy Quilt
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing.
2. Quilt as desired. Cori Derksen and Myra Harder machine-quilted horizontal lines about 1-1/2" apart over the quilt center (Quilting Diagram), not crossing into the appliqué foundation, monogram, sashing, or border. They stitched in the ditch around the monogram, the appliqué foundation center, and sashing. They also stitched two straight lines about 1-1/4" and 1-1/2" from the outer edges of the border.
3. Use blue tone-on-tone print binding strips to bind quilt.