Assemble the Baby Girl Quilt Center
1. Sew ivory print 2-1/2x8-1/2" rectangles to opposite short edges of the pink tone-on-tone print appliqué foundation (Block Assembly Diagram). Sew ivory print 2-1/2x14-1/2" rectangles to remaining edges to make a center block. The center block should be 14-1/2x12-1/2" including seam allowances. Press all seams toward the ivory print.
2. Lay out the center block, pink print rectangles, and ivory print sashing strips (Quilt Assembly Diagram). Join the pieces in sections and the sections in rows. Join the rows to make the quilt center. Press all seams toward the pink prints. The quilt center should be 29-1/2x36-1/2" including seam allowances.
Add Border and Appliqué Monogram for Baby Girl Quilt
1. Sew ivory print 3-1/2x36-1/2" border strips to quilt center's long edges. Sew ivory print 3-1/2x35-1/2" border strips to remaining edges to complete the quilt top. Press all seams toward border.
2. Referring to diagram position appliqué pieces A and B on the center block; baste. Working from the bottom layer to the top, needle-turn appliqué the pieces in place.
Finish Baby Girl Quilt
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing.
2. Quilt as desired. Cori Derksen and Myra Harder machine-quilted a 60-degree diamond grid over the quilt center (Quilting Diagram), not crossing into the appliqué foundation, monogram, sashing, or border. They outline-quilted around the monogram and the appliqué foundation center and stitched in the ditch on the sashing. They also stitched a straight line about 1-1/4" from the outer edge of the border.