1. Sew together two assorted red print 1-1/2" squares to make a two-patch unit (Diagram 1). Press seam in one direction.
2. Join a red print 1-1/2x2-1/2" rectangle to right-hand edge of two-patch unit to make a pieced square (Diagram 2). Press seam toward rectangle.
3. Referring to Diagram 3, sew an assorted blue print 1-1/2x2-1/2" rectangle to top and bottom edges of pieced square. Press seams away from pieced square.
4. Referring to Diagram 4, join a blue print 1-1/2x4-1/2" rectangle to each remaining edge of pieced square to make a blue block. Press seams away from pieced square. The block should be 4-1/2" square including seam allowances.
5. Repeat steps 1-4 to make 29 blue blocks total.
6. Using blue print 1-1/2" squares and a 1-1/2x2-1/2" rectangle, repeat steps 1 and 2 to make a pieced square. Using red print 1-1/2x2-1/2" and 1-1/2x4-1/2" rectangles, repeat steps 3 and 4 to make a red block (Diagram 5). Repeat to make 29 red blocks total.