Designer: Sandra Clemons
Materials for Finished Quilt
- 1-1⁄3 yards solid gray (blocks, sashing)
- 1-1⁄4 yard solid yellow (blocks, inner border)
- 2 yards solid dark teal (blocks, outer border, binding)
- 1⁄4 yard each of solid lime green, solid light pink, solid light teal, and solid dark pink (blocks)
- 3-3⁄4 yards backing fabric
- 67" square batting
Finished quilt: 58-1⁄2" square
Finished blocks: 16" square
Yardages and cutting instructions are based on 42" of usable fabric width. Measurements include 1⁄4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Plan Quilt Top
Designer Sandra Clemons used seven solids to make the quilt top. The materials list includes all fabrics and batting needed to complete the quilt.
In this pattern, instructions are given for the Rail Fence block. You can find instructions for all the blocks and finishing at AllPeopleQuilt.com/SewEasy.
For the best use of fabrics, the sashing, border, and binding strips should be cut at the beginning of the project; cutting instructions for these pieces follow.
Cut Fabrics for Sashing, Borders, and Binding
Cut pieces in the following order. Set these pieces aside so you can use them later to complete the quilt.
From solid gray, cut:
- 2—2-1⁄2×38-1⁄2" sashing strips
- 3—2-1⁄2×34-1⁄2" sashing strips
- 2—2-1⁄2×16-1⁄2" sashing strips
From solid yellow, cut:
- 5—4-1⁄2×42" strips for inner border
From solid dark teal, cut:
- 6—6-1⁄2×42" strips for outer border
- 7—2-1⁄2×42" binding strips
Cut Fabrics for Rail Fence Block
From each gray, lime green, light pink, and dark teal solid, cut:
- 1—2-1⁄2×42" strip
Assemble Rail Fence Block
1) Referring to Diagram 1 and aligning long edges, sew together solid 2-1⁄2×42" strips to make a strip set. Press seams in one direction. The strip set should be 8-1⁄2×42" including seam allowances.
2) Cut strip set into four 8-1⁄2" squares (Diagram 2).
3) Referring to Diagram 3 for color placement, sew together squares in pairs. Press seams open. Join pairs to make a Rail Fence block. Press seam in one direction. The block should be 16-1⁄2" square including seam allowances.