Cut and Assemble A Block
The following instructions result in one A block. Repeat cutting and assembly steps to make six A blocks total.
From each of two assorted green, orange, blue, or brown batiks, cut:
1—4-3/4" square, cutting it diagonally twice in an X for 4 small triangles total
From a third assorted green, orange, blue, or brown batik, cut:
2—5-7/8" squares, cutting each in half diagonally for 4 large triangles total
1. Sew together assorted batik 3" squares in pairs (Diagram 1). Press seams in opposite directions. Join pairs to make a small Four-Patch unit. Press seam in one direction. The unit should be 5-1/2" square including seam allowances.
2. Sew together two contrasting batik small triangles to make Triangle A (Diagram 2). Press seam toward darker batik. Repeat to make a second Triangle A.
3. Reversing placement of pieces, repeat Step 2 to make two B triangles (Diagram 3).
4. Referring to Diagram 4, sew A triangles to opposite edges of small Four-Patch unit; press seams toward triangles. Add B triangles to remaining edges to make a block center; press seams toward triangles. The block center should be 7-1/2" square including seam allowances.
5. Sew batik large triangles to opposite edges of block center (Diagram 5). Add batik large triangles to remaining edges to make block A. Press all seams toward large triangles. The block should be 10-1/2" square including seam allowances.
Continued on Page 4:
More to check out:
Free Batik Quilt Patterns
American Patchwork & Quilting Radio Show