1. For one block, gather a set of matching light or medium batik pieces (two 2-1/2x4-1/2" rectangles, four 2-1/2" squares, two of Triangle Pattern, and two of Triangle Pattern reversed), a set of matching yellow batik pieces (one each of Triangle Pattern and Triangle Pattern reversed), and a set of matching dark blue batik pieces (one each of Triangle Pattern and Triangle Pattern reversed).
2. Aligning marked matching points, sew together a light or medium batik triangle and a yellow batik triangle to make a yellow rectangle unit (Diagram 2). Press seam away from light or medium batik. The unit should be 4-1/2x2-1/2" including seam allowances. Using triangle reversed pieces, repeat to make a mirror-image yellow rectangle unit (Diagram 2).
3. Using dark blue batik triangle pieces, repeat Step 2 to make a pair of dark blue rectangle units.
4. Referring to Diagram 3, lay out remaining light or medium batik pieces and rectangle units around a Nine-Patch unit.
5. Join units in each row. Press seams toward rectangle units. Sew horizontal rows to top and bottom edges of Nine-Patch unit. Press seams toward Nine-Patch unit. Add vertical rows to remaining edges of Nine-Patch unit to make a block. Press seams open. The block should be 10-1/2" square including seam allowances.
6. Repeat steps 1–5 to make 16 blocks total.
Continued on Page 5:
More to check out:
Free Batik Quilt Patterns
Batik Strips and Squares