Assemble Pieced Blocks
1. Use a pencil to mark a diagonal line on wrong side of each white-and-black print 2-7/8" square.
2. Layer a marked white-and-black print 2-7/8" square atop an assorted red print 2-7/8" square. Sew together with two seams, stitching 1/4" on each side of drawn line (Diagram 1). Cut pair apart on drawn line to make two triangle units. Open triangle units and press seams toward red print to make two triangle-squares. Each triangle-square should be 2-1/2" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make four matching triangle-squares total.
3. Sew together triangle-squares in pairs (Diagram 2). Press seams in opposite directions. Join pairs to make a Pinwheel unit. Press seam in one direction. The Pinwheel unit should be 4-1/2" square including seam allowances.
4. Referring to Diagram 3, lay out Pinwheel unit, four black print 2-1/2" squares, and four white-and-black floral 2-1/2x4-1/2" rectangles in three rows. Sew together pieces in each row. Press seams toward rectangles. Join rows to make a pieced block. Press seams away from center row. The block should be 8-1/2" square including seam allowances.
5. Repeat steps 2–4 to make five pieced blocks total.
Continued on Page 4:
More to check out: