Assemble Irish Chain Blocks
1. Referring to Diagram 5, join an aqua print 1-3/4x30" strip and a mottled brown 1-3/4x30" strip to make strip set A. Press seam toward mottled brown. Cut strip set into 16—1-3/4"-wide A segments.
2. Sew together two A segments to make an aqua-and-brown Four-Patch unit (Diagram 6). Press seam in one direction. The Four-Patch unit should be 3" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make eight aqua-and-brown Four-Patch units total.
3. Using pink print strip instead of aqua print, repeat steps 1 and 2 to make eight pink-and-brown Four-Patch units (Diagram 7).
4. Using aqua print 1-3/4x15" strip and pink print 1-3/4x15" strip, repeat Step 1 to make a B strip set, cutting it into eight 13/4"-wide B segments. Using B segments, repeat Step 2 to make four aqua-and-pink Four-Patch units (Diagram 8).
5. Referring to Diagram 9, join an aqua print 1-3/4x15" strip, a mottled brown 3x15" strip, and a pink print 1-3/4x15" strip to make strip set C. Press seams toward mottled brown strip. Cut strip set into eight 13/4"-wide C segments.
6. Referring to Diagram 10, sew mottled brown 1-3/4x3" rectangles to opposite edges of an aqua-and-pink Four-Patch unit. Press seams toward mottled brown. Add a C segment to top and bottom edges of Four-Patch unit to make a chain block center. Press seams toward C segments. The chain block center should be 5-1/2" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make four chain block centers total.
7. Referring to Diagram 11, sew together two aqua-and-brown Four-Patch units, two pink-and-brown Four-Patch units, four mottled brown 3x5-1/2" rectangles, and one chain block center in three rows. Press seams toward mottled brown rectangles. Join rows to make an Irish Chain block. Press seams toward outer rows. The block should be 10-1/2" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make four Irish Chain blocks total.
Continued on Page 5:
More to check out: