Assemble Star Block
1. Referring to Diagram 4, sew together red batik 2-1⁄2x22" strip and pale green batik 4-1⁄2x22" strip to make strip set A. Press seam toward pale green batik. Cut strip set into eight 2-1⁄2"-wide A segments.
2. Join two pale green batik 2-1⁄2x12" strips and red batik 2-1⁄2x12" strip to make strip set B (Diagram 5). Press as before. Cut strip set into four 2-1⁄2"-wide B segments.
3. Sew together two A segments and one B segment to make a corner unit (Diagram 6). Press seams toward A segments. The unit should be 6-1⁄2" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make four corner units total.
4. Referring to Diagram 7, sew together four dark orange batik 3-1⁄2" squares, four small Flying Geese units, and green-and-orange batik 6-1⁄2" square in three rows. Press seams away from Flying Geese units. Join rows to make block center; press seams toward middle row. The block center should be 12-1⁄2" square including seam allowances.
5. Referring to Diagram 8, sew together four corner units, four large Flying Geese units, and block center in three rows. Press seams toward Flying Geese units. Join rows to make a star block; press seams away from middle row. The block should be 24-1⁄2" square including seam allowances.
Continued on Page 5:
More to check out: