Assemble Basket Blocks
1. Use a pencil to mark a diagonal line on wrong side of each cream print 1-3/4" square.
2. For basket block 1, gather a set of pieces from cream print No. 1 (five marked 1-3/4" squares, three extra-large triangles, one basket corner, and one basket corner reversed) and pieces from purple print (one extra-large triangle, two medium triangles, five 1-3/4" squares, and one 1-3/8" square).
3. Layer a marked cream print 1-3/4" square atop a purple print 1-3/4" square. Sew together with two seams, stitching 1/4" on each side of drawn line (Diagram 1). Cut pair apart on drawn line to make two triangle units. Press each triangle unit open, pressing seams toward purple print, to make two small triangle-squares. Each small triangle-square should be 1-3/8" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make 10 small triangle-squares total.
4. Sew together a cream print extra-large triangle and a purple print extra-large triangle to make a large triangle-square (Diagram 2). Press seam toward purple print. The large triangle-square should be 4-7/8" square including seam allowances.
5. Referring to Diagram 3, sew together five small triangle-squares to make a horizontal row; press seams in one direction. Join five remaining triangle-squares and purple print 1-3/8" square to make a vertical row; press seams toward purple print square. Sew horizontal row, then vertical row to cream edges of large triangle-square to make a block center. Press seams toward large triangle-square. The block center should be 5-3/4" square including seam allowances.
6. Sew together a cream print basket corner piece and a purple print medium triangle to make Corner Unit A (Diagram 4). Press seam toward purple print triangle.
7. Using a cream print basket corner reversed piece, repeat Step 6 to make Corner Unit B (Diagram 4).
8. Referring to Diagram 5, add Corner Unit A, then Corner Unit B to purple print edges of block center. Press seams toward block center. Sew cream print extra-large triangles to remaining edges of block center to make Basket Block 1. Press seams toward block center. If necessary, trim side and upper edges so block is 8-1/2" square including seam allowances; the basket will “float” in the finished block.
9. Using remaining cream prints and pink, orange, and blue prints, repeat steps 2–8 to make Basket Blocks 2, 3, and 4.
Continued on Page 4:
More to check out: