Assemble Star Blocks
1. Use a pencil or white dressmaker’s pencil to draw a diagonal line on wrong side of each cream print and black print 3-7⁄8" square.
2. Layer a marked cream print square atop a blue-and-black floral 3-7⁄8" square. Sew together with two seams, stitching 1⁄4" on each side of drawn line (Diagram 1). Cut apart on drawn line to make two triangle units. Press each triangle unit open, pressing seam toward blue-and-black floral, to make two cream print triangle-squares. Each triangle-square should be 3-1⁄2" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make 16 cream print triangle-squares total.
3. Using marked cream print squares and blue print 3-7⁄8" squares, repeat Step 2 to make 16 blue print triangle-squares.
4. Using remaining marked cream print squares and gold print 3-7⁄8" squares, repeat Step 2 to make 16 gold print triangle-squares.
5. Using marked black print squares and remaining blue print 3-7⁄8" squares, repeat Step 2 to make 16 blue-and-black triangle-squares.
6. Referring to Diagram 2, lay out four cream print triangle-squares, four blue print triangle-squares, four gold print triangle-squares, and four blue-and-black triangle-squares in four rows. Sew together triangle-squares in each row. Press seams in one direction, alternating direction with each row. Join rows to make a star block. Press seams in one direction. The block should be 12-1⁄2" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make four star blocks total.
Continued on Page 4:
More to check out: