Assemble Large House Blocks
1. Gather a set of pieces cut from a single floral 10" square (see Cutting Diagram 1), one white floral 2-1⁄2x8" rectangle, and one white floral 2" square.
2. Referring to Diagram 1, sew together floral 1-1⁄2x2" rectangles and white floral 2" square in a horizontal row. Press seams open. Join floral 4x2" and 4x7" rectangles to top and bottom edges of horizontal row to make a window segment. Press seams open.
3. Referring to Diagram 2, join floral 1-1⁄2x2-1⁄2" rectangles and white floral 2-1⁄2x8" rectangle in a vertical row. Press seams open. Join floral 3x10" rectangle to right-hand edge of row to make a door segment. Press seam open.
4. Sew together window and door segments to make a large house segment (Diagram 3). Press seam open. The segment should be 8-1⁄2x10" including seam allowances.
5. Repeat steps 1–4 to make three large house segments total.
6. Use a pencil to mark a diagonal line on wrong side of all tan print 3-1⁄2" squares and six tan print 4-1⁄2" squares.
7. Align a marked tan print 3-1⁄2" square with one end of an assorted floral 3-1⁄2x8-1⁄2" rectangle (Diagram 4). Sew on marked line; trim excess fabric, leaving 1⁄4" seam allowance. Press attached triangle open. Repeat to add a marked tan print 3-1⁄2" square to opposite end of floral rectangle to make an A roof segment. The segment should be 8-1⁄2x3-1⁄2" including seam allowances. Repeat to make three A roof segments total.
8. Referring to Step 7 and Diagram 5, use marked tan print 4-1⁄2" squares and assorted floral 4-1⁄2x8-1⁄2" rectangles to make three B roof segments. Each segment should be 8-1⁄2x4-1⁄2" including seam allowances.
9. Sew an A and a B roof segment to short edges of a large house segment to make a large house unit (Diagram 6). Press seams open. The unit should be 8-1⁄2x17" including seam allowances. Repeat to make three large house units total. If desired, reverse placement of A and B roof segments in some large house units (Diagram 7).
10. Referring to Diagram 8, cut each large house unit in half crosswise to make six large house blocks total. Each block should be 8-1⁄2" square including seam allowances.
Continued on Page 4:
More to check out: