1. Sew together two blue star print 2x10" strips and mottled red 2x10" strip to make Strip Set A (Diagram 4). Press seams toward blue star print strips. Cut strip set into four 2”-wide A segments.
2. Join a tan dot 1-1⁄4x22" strip and a mottled red 1-1⁄4x22" strip to make Strip Set B (Diagram 5). Press seam toward mottled red strip. Cut strip set into sixteen 1-1⁄4"-wide B segments.
3. Referring to Diagram 6, join one A segment, two B segments, and two tan dot 1-1⁄4" squares into a long pieced row. Press seams toward A segment. Repeat to make four long pieced rows total.
4. Referring to Diagram 7, sew together a blue star print 2" square, two B segments, and two tan dot 1-1⁄4" squares to make a short pieced row. Press seams toward center. Repeat to make four short pieced rows total.
5. Aligning center seams, sew together a long pieced row and a short pieced row (Diagram 8). Press seam toward long pieced row. Add a tan dot 1-1⁄2x2-1⁄4" rectangle to top of short pieced row to make a corner unit. Press seam away from rectangle. Repeat to make four corner units total.
6. Sew corner units to opposite edges of block center (Diagram 9). Press seams toward block center. Add corner units to remaining edges to make a block; press seams toward block center. Referring to Diagram 10, trim block to 11-1⁄8" square including seam allowances.
Continued on Page 5:
More to check out: