Assemble Block Centers
1. For a block center, gather one set of matching tan (or lavender or rust) print pieces (one 2-1/2x12-1/2" rectangle, one 2-1/2x6-1/2" rectangle, two 2-1/2x4-1/2" rectangles, two 3-1/2" squares, and two 2-1/2" squares).
2. Referring to Diagram 1, sew together a cream leaf print 1-1/2x2-1/2" rectangle and a red print 2-1/2" square to make a chimney segment. Press seam toward red print. The segment should be 2-1/2x3-1/2" including seam allowances. Repeat to make a second chimney segment.
3. Referring to Diagram 2, join chimney segments, two cream leaf print 3-1/2" squares, and one cream leaf print 2-1/2x3-1/2" rectangle in a row to make a chimney unit. Press seams toward chimney segments. The unit should be 12-1/2x3-1/2" including seam allowances.
4. Use a pencil to mark a diagonal line on wrong side of tan print 3-1/2" squares and one cream leaf print 3-1/2" square.
5. Layer a marked tan print square atop an unmarked cream leaf print 3-1/2" square. Stitch on marked line (Diagram 3). Trim seam allowance to 1/4". Open triangles and press seam toward tan print to make a triangle-square. The triangle-square should be 3-1/2" square including seam allowances.
6. Align remaining marked tan print square and the marked cream leaf print square with opposite ends of a brown print 3-1/2x9-1/2" rectangle (Diagram 4; note directions of marked lines). Stitch on marked lines; trim excess fabric, leaving 1/4" seam allowances. Press open attached triangles to make a roof segment. The roof segment should be 9-1/2x3-1/2" including seam allowances.
7. Sew together the triangle-square and roof segment to make a roof unit (Diagram 5). Press seam toward roof segment. The unit should be 12-1/2x3-1/2" including seam allowances.
8. Referring to Diagram 6, join tan print 2-1/2x4-1/2" rectangles and a blue print, dark blue print, or blue floral 2-1/2x4-1/2" rectangle to make door segment. Press seams toward tan print rectangles. The door segment should be 6-1/2x4-1/2" including seam allowances.
9. Sew together tan print 2-1/2" squares and an assorted cream or tan print 2-1/2" square (Diagram 7). Press seams toward darker print squares. Join tan print 2-1/2x6-1/2" rectangle to bottom of row to make window segment. Press seam toward tan print rectangle. The window segment should be 6-1/2x4-1/2" including seam allowances.
10. Referring to Diagram 8, sew together door and window segments. Press seam in one direction. Sew tan print 2-1/2x12-1/2" rectangle to top of joined segments to make house unit. Press seam toward tan print rectangle. The house unit should be 12-1/2x6-1/2" including seam allowances.
11. Referring to Diagram 9, sew together chimney, roof, and house units to make a block center. Press seams in one direction. The block center should be 12-1/2" square including seam allowances.
12. Repeat steps 1–11 to make four block centers total.
Continued on Page 4:
More to check out: