Make Block Centers
1. For one navy blue block center, gather four 4-1/2" squares and one 2-1/4" square from one navy blue print or navy blue stripe and four 2-1/4x4-1/2" rectangles from one cream print.
2. Referring to Diagram 1, lay out pieces in three rows. Sew together pieces in each row. Press seams toward 4-1/2" squares. Join rows to make an uneven Nine-Patch unit. Press seams away from middle row. The uneven Nine-Patch unit should be 10-1/4" square including seam allowances.
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 to make five navy blue uneven Nine-Patch units total.
4. For one red block center, gather four 4-1/2" squares and one 2-1/4" square from one cream print and four 2-1/4x4-1/2" rectangles from one red print. Repeat Step 2 to make a red uneven Nine-Patch unit.
5. Repeat Step 4 to make four red uneven Nine-Patch units total.
6. Place template A over an uneven Nine-Patch unit (Diagram 2), aligning dashed lines on template with seam lines of uneven Nine-Patch unit. (If you can’t see through the template well enough to align the template accurately, cut a window in the template the same size as the center square, then line up the window with the square before marking.) Mark curved edges of template and transfer dots. Cut on marked lines to make a block center.
7. Repeat Step 6 to make nine block centers total (five navy blue and four red).
Continued on Page 4:
More to check out: