1. Referring to Diagram 2, position a blue print 1-1/4x4-3/4" strip along top edge of a center unit, aligning right-hand edges. Beginning 1" from left-hand edge of center unit, sew together pieces. Finger-press seam away from center unit.
2. Sew a second blue print 1-1/4x4-3/4" strip to right-hand edge of center unit and a third blue print 1-1/4x4-3/4" strip to bottom edge of center unit (Diagram 3). Press all seams away from center unit.
3. Add a fourth blue print 1-1/4x4-3/4" strip to left-hand edge of center unit and press as before. Sew remaining portion of the first seam (Diagram 4). Press seam toward first blue print strip. The center unit now should be 5-1/2" square including seam allowances.
4. Referring to steps 1–4 and Diagram 5, add yellow print 1-1/4x6-1/4" strips, green print 1-1/4x7-3/4" strips, red print 1-1/4x9-1/4" strips, and brown print 1-1/4x10-3/4" strips to center unit to make a Log Cabin unit. The Log Cabin unit should be 11-1/2" square including seam allowances.
5. Cut Log Cabin unit in half horizontally and vertically to make four block units (Diagram 6). Each block unit should be 5-3/4" square including seam allowances.
6. Referring to Diagram 7, lay out four block units, four cream print 2x5-3/4" sashing strips, and one brown floral 2" sashing square in rows. Sew together pieces in each row. Press seams toward sashing strips. Join rows to make a block. Press seams toward cream print sashing strips. The block should be 12-1/2" square including seam allowances.
7. Repeat steps 1–6 to make four blocks total.
Continued on Page 5:
More to check out: