Assemble And Add Inner Border
1. Draw a diagonal line on wrong side of each solid white 2-1/4" square.
2. Align a marked solid white square with one end of a dark turquoise print 2-1/4x16-1/2" strip (Diagram 3; note direction of drawn line). Stitch on drawn line, then trim, leaving a 1/4" seam allowance. Press open attached triangle, pressing seam toward solid white. In same manner, add another marked solid white square to opposite end of dark turquoise print strip to make a turquoise border unit. Repeat to make eight turquoise border units total.
3. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, sew together two turquoise border units in a row. Press seams open. Add a solid white 2-1/4x32-1/2 strip to one long edge of joined border units to make an inner border strip. Press seam away from solid white. The strip should be 4x32-1/2" including seam allowances. Repeat to make four inner border strips total.
4. Sew together four assorted print 2-1/4" squares in pairs (Diagram 4). Press seams in opposite directions. Join pairs to make a Four-Patch unit. Press seam in one direction. The unit should be 4" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make four Four-Patch units total.
5. Sew inner border strips to opposite edges of quilt center. Add a Four-Patch unit to ends of each remaining inner border strip to make two long inner border strips. Press seams away from Four-Patch units. Add long inner border strips to remaining edges of quilt center. Press all seams toward inner border. The quilt center now should be 39-1/2" square including seam allowances.
Continued on Page 5:
More to check out: