Assemble Center Units
1. Referring to Diagram 1, sew together five matching red print 1-7/8" squares and four matching gray-blue print 1-7/8" squares in three rows. Press seams toward gray-blue print. Join rows to make a red-and-blue Nine-Patch unit. Press seams in one direction. The unit should be 4-5/8" square including seam allowances.
2. Repeat Step 1 to make nine red-and-blue Nine-Patch units total.
3. Using black floral instead of gray-blue print, repeat Step 1 to make four red-and-black Nine-Patch units total.
4. Sew matching red stripe or plaid 1-1/2x4-5/8" rectangles to opposite edges of a red-and-blue Nine-Patch unit (Diagram 2). Add matching 1-1/2x6-5/8" rectangles to remaining edges to make a red-and-blue center unit. Press all seams toward rectangles. Trim center unit to 6-1/2" square including seam allowances.
5. Repeat Step 4 to make nine red-and-blue center units total.
6. Using red-and-black Nine-Patch units, repeat Step 4 to make four red-and-black center units total.
Continued on Page 4:
More to check out: