Plan Quilt Layout and Assemble Hourglass Blocks
The hourglass blocks are carefully planned so that four matching 1930s print triangles will surround each Rail Fence block. To re-create the look, lay out quilt center blocks, squares, and triangles prior to assembling hourglass blocks. For a less-planned look, skip steps 1–3 and make hourglass blocks as indicated in steps 4–7.
1. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram and Diagram 2, lay out assorted white print 5" squares and Rail Fence blocks in seven rows on a design wall or other large surface, leaving 5" squares of space for hourglass blocks to be placed later.
2. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram and Diagram 3, position four matching 1930s print triangles around each Rail Fence block.
3. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram and Diagram 4, fill in empty areas with assorted white print triangles.
4. Remove a set of four 1930s print triangles from design wall. Referring to Diagram 5, sew together triangles in pairs. Press seams in opposite directions. Join pairs to make Block A. Press seam in one direction. The block should be 5" square including seam allowances. Return Block A to its original place on design wall. Repeat to make five total of Block A.
5. Referring to Diagram 6, remove a set of three 1930s print triangles and one white print triangle; repeat Step 4 assembly instructions to make Block B. Repeat to make four total of Block B.
6. Referring to Diagram 7, remove two 1930s print triangles and two assorted white print triangles; repeat Step 4 assembly instructions to make Block C. Repeat to make four total of Block C.
7. Referring to Diagram 8, remove one 1930s print triangle and three assorted white cream print triangles; repeat Step 4 assembly instructions to make Block D. Repeat to make eight total of Block D.
Continued on Page 5:
More to check out: