Assemble X Blocks
1. Referring to Diagram 2, sew together two mottled moss green 7⁄8x14" strips and two mottled blue 7⁄8x14" strips to make a strip set. Press seams open. Repeat to make a second matching strip set.
2. Using an acrylic ruler, cut one end of a strip set at a 45-degree angle; start from the bottom left-hand corner (Diagram 3). Measuring parallel to trimmed edge, cut trimmed strip set into eight 7⁄8"-wide A segments (Diagram 4).
3. In the same manner, cut the same end of remaining strip set in the opposite direction; start from the top left-hand corner (Diagram 5). Measuring parallel to trimmed edge, cut trimmed strip set into eight 7⁄8"-wide B segments.
4. Using a water-soluble fabric pen, mark a dot in each corner on wrong side of an A segment where the 1⁄4" seam allowances intersect (Diagram 6). Mark remaining A segments and all B segments in the same manner.
If desired for ease in marking, make a template of Segment Marking Pattern on page 5; use a pushpin to make a hole in template at each dot on pattern. With template right side down, mark through template holes at corners of each A segment; flip template right side up to mark corners of each B segment.
5. Referring to Diagram 7, join an A segment to left-hand edge of a red print triangle; do not sew into 1⁄4" seam allowance at marked dots. In the same manner, sew a B segment to right-hand edge of red triangle, then join short edges of A and B segments. Press seams open to make a red triangle unit. Repeat to make four matching red triangle units total.
6. Using remaining red print triangles, repeat Step 5 to make four additional red triangle units.
7. Referring to Diagram 8, sew together two matching red triangle units to make a triangle pair; do not sew into 1⁄4" seam allowance at marked dots. Press seam open. Repeat to make a second, matching triangle pair. Join pairs to make a block unit, stitching between dots at beginning and end of seam (Diagram 9). Press seam open.
8. Referring to Diagram 10, set an assorted mottled print 1" square into one corner of block unit. Press seams away from square. Repeat with remaining corners to make a red X block (Diagram 11). The block should be 4-1⁄2" square including seam allowances.
9. Repeat steps 7 and 8 to make two red X blocks total.
10. Using remaining mottled 7/8x14" strips, remaining assorted print triangles, and remaining mottled print 1” squares, repeat steps 1–9 to make nine X blocks total. (You will have four A and four B segments left over from one color combination.)
Continued on Page 5:
More to check out: