Assemble A Blocks
1. Sew black print No. 1—2x3-1/2" rectangles to opposite edges of a purple-and-black print 3-1/2" square (Diagram 1). Add black print No. 1—2x6-1/2" rectangles to remaining edges of purple-and-black print square to make a block A center. Press all seams toward black print No. 1 rectangles. The block A center should be 6-1/2" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make five block A centers total.
2. Use a pencil to mark a diagonal line on wrong side of each orange print 3-1/2" square.
3. Align a marked orange print square with one end of a blue print 3-1/2x6-1/2" rectangle (Diagram 2). Stitch on marked line and trim seam allowance to 1/4". Press attached triangle open, pressing seam toward orange print.
4. Align a second marked orange print 31/2" square with remaining end of Step 3 blue print rectangle. Stitch, trim, and press as before to make a Flying Geese unit (Diagram 2). The unit should be 6-1/2x3-1/2" including seam allowances.
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 to make 20 Flying Geese units total.
6. Referring to Diagram 3, lay out a block A center, four Flying Geese units, and four assorted swirl print 3-1/2" squares in three rows. Sew together pieces in each row. Press seams away from Flying Geese units. Join rows to make block A. Press seams toward middle row. Block A should be 12-1/2" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make five A blocks total.
Continued on Page 4:
More to check out: