Assemble Block B
1. Use a pencil to mark a diagonal line on wrong side of each dark purple print 2" square and each gold dot 3-7/8" square.
2. Align a marked dark purple print 2" square with one corner of a pink-and-tan stripe 3-1/2x5" rectangle (Diagram 5; note direction of marked line). Stitch on drawn line. Trim excess fabric, leaving 1/4" seam allowance. Press open attached triangle, pressing seam toward purple print. In the same manner, sew a marked purple print square to adjacent edge of rectangle to make a stripe unit. The stripe unit should be 3-1/2x5" including seam allowances. Repeat to make 16 stripe units total.
3. Layer a marked gold dot 3-7/8" square atop a pink print 3-7/8" square. Sew together with two seams, stitching 1/4" on each side of drawn line (Diagram 6). Cut pair apart on drawn line to make two triangle units. Open triangle units; press seams toward pink print to make two triangle-squares. Each triangle-square should be 3-1/2" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make 16 triangle-squares total.
4. Sew together one triangle-square, two dark purple print 2x3-1/2" rectangles, and one pink tone-on-tone print 2" square in two rows (Diagram 7; note placement of gold dot in triangle-square). Press seams toward dark purple print rectangles. Join rows to make a block corner. Press seam toward top row of block corner. The block corner should be 5" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make 16 block corners total.
5. Referring to Diagram 8, lay out four stripe units, four block corners, and one pink floral 3-1/2" square in three rows. Sew together pieces in each row; press seams toward stripe units. Join rows to make Block B. Press seams away from center row. Block B should be 12-1/2" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make four B blocks total.
Continued on Page 5:
More to check out: