1. Sew a red batik 1x18" strip to one edge of a black batik 1-1/2" square (Diagram 1). Press seam away from solid black batik square and trim strip even with edge of square. Sew trimmed red batik strip to opposite edge of black batik square. Press as before and trim even with edge of square (Diagram 2). Set aside the trimmed red batik strip for use in other blocks.
2. In the same manner, sew an assorted light batik 1x18" strip to remaining edges of Step 1 black batik square. Press seams away from black batik square. Trim as before to make a block center (Diagram 3). The block center should be 2-1/2" square including seam allowances; square up, if necessary. Set aside the trimmed light batik strip for use in other blocks.
3. Referring to Step 1, sew, press, and trim a purple batik 1x18" strip to opposite edges of block center (Diagram 4).
4. Continue adding light batik strips and purple batik strips to block center in the same manner, pressing all seams away from block center and squaring up after each round, if necessary, to make Block A (Diagram 5). Block A should be 5-1/2" square including seam allowances.
5. Repeat steps 1–4 to make 12 A blocks total.
6. Using purple batik strips for the red and the light batik strips, repeat steps 1–4 to make 13 B blocks (Diagram 6).
Continued on Page 5:
More to check out: