Materials for Valance
6--1/4-yard pieces of assorted bright prints for blocks and outer border
1-1/2 yards of muslin for blocks, inner border, backing, and hanging tabs
5--1/2"-diameter pink buttons
Finished valance: 51x16"
Cut the Fabrics
Cut the muslin backing rectangle the length of the fabric (parallel to the selvage).
From each assorted bright print, cut:
From muslin, cut:
1--51-1/2x16-1/2" backing rectangle
Assemble the Valance
1. Referring to instructions for Pinwheels Quilt, Assemble the Blocks, steps 1 and 2, layer each bright print 3-3/8x22" strip with a muslin 3-3/8x22" strip. From each layered pair, make 12 triangle-squares.
2. Referring to instructions for Pinwheels Quilt, Assemble the Blocks, Step 3, make a total of 18 Pinwheel blocks. Set aside the remaining triangle-squares for the pieced outer border.
3. Lay out the Pinwheel blocks in two horizontal rows (see Diagram 15). Join the blocks in each row. Press the seam allowances in each row in opposite directions. Then join the rows to make the pieced valance center. The pieced valance center should measure 45-1/2x10-1/2", including the seam allowances.
4. Cut and piece the muslin 1-1/2x42" strips to make two 1-1/2x47-1/2" inner border strips. Sew the short muslin inner border strips to the short edges of the pieced valance center. Then join the long muslin inner border strips to the long edges of the pieced valance center. Press all seam allowances toward the inner border.
5. Cut and piece the assorted bright print 2-1/2x42" strips to make the following:
2--2-1/2x51-1/2" outer border strips
2--2-1/2x12-1/2" outer border strips
6. Sew the short bright print outer border strips to the short edges of the pieced valance center. Then join the long bright print outer border strips to the long edges of the pieced valance center to complete the valance front. Press the seam allowances toward the outer border.
7. Referring to instructions for Pinwheels Bedskirt, Step 14, use the muslin 5x7" rectangles to make a total of five hanging tabs.
8. With right sides facing up, place the five hanging tabs along one long edge of the valance top; align raw edges and leave 1/2" on each end. Baste in place.
9. With right sides together, layer the valance top and muslin 51-1/2x16-1/2" rectangle. Sew together, leaving a 10" opening for turning. Turn the valance right side out; press. Sew the opening closed. Fold the hanging tabs down. Sew a button to each tab, stitching through all layers, to complete the valance.
Return to Page 1:
More to check out: