Assemble Bag Body
1. Sew together assorted aqua-and-green, green, light green, and cream 3" squares and seven aqua print 3" squares to make a pieced rectangle (Diagram 1). The pieced rectangle should be 10-1/2x25-1/2" including seam allowances.
2. Lay bird print 14x30" rectangle right side down on a flat surface. Top with 14x30" batting rectangle, aligning edges. With right side up, center pieced rectangle on batting (Diagram 2); baste. To eliminate basting, spray the wrong side of each piece to be layered with quilt basting spray.
3. Quilt as desired to make quilted pocket rectangle. Project maker Judy Sams Sohn machine-quilted straight lines through the center of each square in both directions to make a grid (Diagram 3).
4. Trim quilted pocket rectangle to 10-1/2x25-1/2". Machine-baste a scant 1/8" inside all edges.
5. Using a multicolor stripe 2-1/2x42" strip, bind one long edge of quilted pocket rectangle. Topstitch binding.
6. Lay bird print 18x30" rectangle right side down on a flat surface. Top with 18x30" batting rectangle, aligning edges. With right side up, center bird print 14x26" bag rectangle on batting; baste.
7. Quilt as desired to make quilted bag rectangle. Judy machine-quilted parallel lines about 2" apart (Diagram 4).
8. Trim quilted bag rectangle to 13-1/4x25-1/2". Machine-baste a scant 1/8" inside all edges.
9. With right sides up, place pocket rectangle on bag rectangle. Baste pocket to bag along sides and bottom. Sew through all layers in center of pocket from pocket binding to bag bottom to make bag body (Diagram 5).
Continued on Page 4:
More to check out: