Assemble Bag Body
1. Following manufacturer’s instructions, fuse an A interfacing rectangle to wrong side of each green-and-black print A rectangle and an interfacing B rectangle to wrong side of each black floral B rectangle.
2. Referring to Diagram 1, sew together fused green-and-black print A rectangle and fused black floral B rectangle to make a bag unit; press seam toward green-and-black print rectangle. Topstitch 1/8" from seam line. Repeat to make a second bag unit.
3. Referring to Diagram 2, lay out 18 assorted print 4" squares in two rows of four squares and two rows of five squares. Join squares in each row. Press seams in one direction, alternating direction with each row. Offsetting rows as shown, join rows to make a pieced unit. Press seams in one direction. Trim pieced unit to 12-1/2" square to make a pieced C square (Diagram 3). Repeat to make a second pieced C square. Fuse an interfacing C square to wrong side of each pieced C square.
4. Sew a bag unit to a fused C square (Diagram 4); press seam toward fused square. (For clarity, a pieced C square is shown in gray beginning with Diagram 4.) Topstitch 1/8" from seam line to make a bag front. Repeat to make bag back.
5. Layer bag front and bag back right sides together. Sew together along short bottom edges to make bag center (Diagram 5). Using tip of iron, carefully press seam open.
6. Referring to Diagram 6, sew green floral 1/2x1" strips to corners of stiff interfacing 8-1/2x11-1/2" rectangle to make joining tabs; the tabs should extend 1/2"past the edges. (The tabs will hold interfacing in place, minimizing bulk in seams.) Center and baste interfacing rectangle over opened seam with tabs extending to long edges of bag center (Diagram 7). Working on the right side of bag center, topstitch 1/8" on either side of seam (Diagram 8) to secure interfacing.
Continued on Page 4:
More to check out: