1. Pry open spiral binding and remove front cover from notebook.
2. Referring to Diagram 1, sew together two brown print 1-1/8x3-1/2" rectangles and orange print Diamond Pattern to make a pieced row. Press seams open. Trim excess fabric from ends of each rectangle parallel to the row.
3. Add two brown print 1x4-3/4" rectangles to long edges. Trim excess fabric from both ends of each rectangle parallel to row.
4. Referring to Diagram 2, add two orange stripe border strips. Trim excess fabric from ends of each border strip parallel to row. Add remaining borders, trimming ends in same manner, to make pieced unit.
5. Position blue print 9-1/2x11" rectangle on notebook cover, avoiding spiral-binding holes to make appliqué foundation; adhere rectangle in place with glue stick. Trim excess fabric along notebook cover edge.
6. Press 1/4" seams along all edges of Step 4 pieced unit, folding under ends on two sides to create a clean edge. The pieced unit should be 4-7/8x8-1/2" including seam allowances.
7. Referring to Appliqué Placement Diagram for placement, position pieced unit on appliqué foundation. Adhere unit in place with glue stick. Topstitch 1/8" from outer edges of unit to attach unit to foundation. To stitch through the cardboard cover, use a size 100/16, heavy-duty denim needle; increase your stitch length; and stitch slowly.
8. Zigzag-stitch around outer edges of cover.
9. Apply a coat of spray adhesive to back of 8-3/4x11" cardstock. Adhere cardstock to reverse side of cover to conceal stitching. Reassemble notebook, bending wires back into place to complete project.
Return to Page 1:
More to check out:
Small Fabric-Covered Notebook