Butterfly Album Cover
Project designer: Pat Sloan
Soft-cover album for 4x6" photos
8x14-1/2" piece tan floral (cover)
8x9" piece tan print (lining)
Assorted scraps: black polka dot, blue print, and black print (appliqués)
7x10" piece thin cotton batting
Perle cotton No. 12: variegated purple
Lightweight fusible web
Finished cover: 7x5"
Click on "Download This Project" for the full-size patterns. Lay fusible web, paper side up, over patterns. Trace patterns number of times indicated below. Cut out each fusible-web shape roughly 1/4" outside traced lines. Following manufacturer’s instructions, press shapes onto backs of fabrics. Let cool. Cut out appliqués on drawn lines; peel off paper backings.
From black polka dot, cut:
1 each of patterns A, A reversed, B, and B reversed
From blue print, cut:
1 each of patterns C, C reversed, D, and D reversed
From black print, cut:
1 of Pattern E
1. Referring to Appliqué Placement Diagram, arrange appliqués on tan floral 8x14-1/2" rectangle; fuse in place.
2. Using matching threads, machine-blanket-stitch around all appliqués. With variegated perle cotton, stem-stitch antennae and grass blades, add a French knot to the top of each grass blade, and use a running stitch to embroider a line under the butterfly.
3. Center batting 7x10" rectangle on wrong side of appliquéd tan check rectangle; pin or baste in place.
4. Press short ends of appliquéd tan check rectangle 1/4" to the wrong side; stitch in place. Lay the appliquéd tan check rectangle right side up and press short ends 2" to the right side to create flaps. With right sides together, center the lining 8x9" rectangle atop the tan check rectangle (Assembly Diagram). Machine-stitch top and bottom edges with 1/2" seam allowance to make cover. Turn cover right side out, then turn flaps right side out; press flat.
5. Slide photo album into cover.
Continued on Page 4:
More to check out: