Assemble Bag Body
1. Fold each black print 3/4x22-1/2" strip in half, wrong side inside, to make two flat piping strips (Diagram 2).
2. Place a tan-and-black canvas print 12-1/2x22-1/2" rectangle right side up on a work surface. Aligning long raw edges, layer a piping strip on the rectangle (Diagram 3). Baste in place a scant 1/4" from long raw edges.
3. Referring to Diagram 4, lay a black print 6-3/4x22-1/2" rectangle right side down atop Step 2 unit. Align a long edge with piping edge; stitch through all layers. Finger-press rectangles open, pressing seam toward black print rectangle. Topstitch 1/8" from seam to make bag front.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 to make bag back.
5. Sew together side and bottom edges of bag front and back to make bag body (Diagram 5). Press seams open.
6. To shape a flat bottom for bag body, at one corner match bottom seam line to side seam line, creating a flattened triangle (Diagram 6). Measure and mark on seam allowance 3-1/4" from point of triangle. Draw a 6-1/2"-long line across triangle, and sew on drawn line. Trim excess fabric, leaving 1/4" seam allowance. Repeat at remaining bottom corner. Turn bag body right side out.
7. Referring to Diagram 7, pin raw ends of one handle to one long raw edge of bag body; make sure handle is centered. Sew handle ends to bag body a scant 1/4" from bag's edge. Repeat with second handle and remaining long raw edge of bag body.
Continued on Page 5:
More to check out: