Assemble Bag Body
1. Referring to Diagram 1, sew together six assorted print 2-1⁄2x42" strips to make a strip set. Press seams in one direction. The strip set should be 12-1⁄2x42" including seam allowances. Cut strip set into four 10-1⁄2"-wide segments (Diagram 2).
2. Join short edges of two segments to make outer bag (Diagram 3). Outer bag should be 10-1⁄2x24-1⁄2" including seam allowances. Repeat to make bag lining.
3. Lay bag lining right side down on a flat surface. Aligning edges, place batting 10-1⁄2x24-1⁄2" rectangle and outer bag (right side up) on top. Baste through all layers. Quilt as desired.
4. Fold quilted rectangles in half, lining side inside. Sew together pairs of side edges using a scant 1⁄4" seam to make bag body (Diagram 4). Trim seam to a scant 1⁄8".
5. Turn bag body lining side out and sew side seams with a 1⁄4" seam, enclosing previously sewn seams (Diagram 5). These French seams finish the seams that will be inside the bag.
6. At one corner match side seam line to center bottom of bag body, creating a flattened triangle (Diagram 6). Measuring 1-3⁄4" from point of triangle, draw a 3-1⁄2"-long line across triangle. Sew on drawn line. Trim excess fabric, leaving 1⁄4" seam allowance. Repeat at remaining bottom corner to shape bottom of bag. Turn bag body right side out.
Continued on Page 4:
More to check out:
Free Bag Patterns