Finish Oven Mitt
1. With wrong side inside, fold purple stripe 2-3/4x40" binding strip in half lengthwise; press. Cut strip into four 10"-long binding pieces.
2. Aligning raw edges, sew one binding piece to lower edge of a mitt front (Diagram 4). Fold binding to lining side. Stitch in the ditch or hand-sew binding to lining side to secure.
3. Repeat Step 2 with remaining mitt front and both mitt backs.
4. With wrong side inside, fold a purple stripe 2x5" strip in half lengthwise (Diagram 5). Lightly press, then unfold. Fold long raw edges in to meet at center. Fold in half to align folded edges; press again. Edgestitch double-folded edge. Matching raw edges, fold in half to make a loop. Repeat to make a second loop.
5. Pin raw ends of a loop to side edge of each mitt front next to binding (Diagram 6).
6. Layer a mitt front and a mitt back with right sides together. Beginning at one bound lower edge, sew together through all layers (Diagram 7). Stitch again 1/8" from outer edges. Clip into seam allowance along curves just up to outer line of stitching; zigzag or serge seams. Turn right side out and press flat to complete oven mitt. Repeat to make second oven mitt.
Return to page 1:
More to check out: