1. Use a pencil to mark a diagonal line on wrong side of each assorted cream, olive, blue, pink, and coral print and dot 5" square. (To prevent fabric from stretching as you draw the lines, place 220-grit sandpaper under each square.)
2. Layer a marked square atop a brown pin dot 5" square. Sew pair together with two seams, stitching 1⁄4" on each side of drawn line (Diagram 1).
3. Cut a pair apart on drawn line to make two triangle units. Open triangle units and press seams toward brown pin dot to make two triangle-squares (Diagram 1).
4. Use a pencil to mark a diagonal line perpendicular to seam line on wrong sides of each triangle-square.
5. Layer a marked triangle-square atop the unmarked triangle-square, aligning seam lines. Sew pair together with two seams, stitching 1⁄4" on each side of drawn line (Diagram 2). Cut pair apart on drawn line. Open triangle units and press seams in one direction to make two hourglass blocks (Diagram 2). Trim each to 4" square including seam allowances.
6. Repeat steps 2–5 to make 84 hourglass blocks total (you will use 83).
Continued on Page 4:
More to check out: