1. For one block, gather four small triangles and two 3-7/8" squares from white print; two light blue tone-on-tone 3-7/8" squares; four small triangles from one assorted print; four large triangles from a second assorted print; and one 3-1/2" square from a third assorted print.
2. Use a pencil to mark a diagonal line on wrong side of white print 3-7/8" squares.
3. Layer a marked white print 3-7/8" square atop a light blue tone-on-tone 3-7/8" square. Sew 1/4" on each side of drawn line (Diagram 1). Cut pair apart on drawn line to make two triangle units. Press each triangle unit open, pressing seam away from white print, to make two triangle-squares. Each triangle-square should be 3-1/2" square including seam allowances.
4. Repeat Step 3 with remaining marked white print 3-7/8" square and light blue tone-on-tone 3-7/8" square to make four triangle-squares total.
5. Sew together a white print small triangle and an assorted print small triangle to make a triangle pair (Diagram 2). Press seam toward darker print. Repeat to make four identical triangle pairs total.
6. Join a triangle pair and an assorted print large triangle along long edges to make a star point unit (Diagram 3). Press seam toward large triangle. The star point unit should be 3-1/2" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make four star point units total.
7. Referring to Diagram 4, lay out triangle-squares, star point units, and assorted print 3-1/2" square in three rows. Sew together pieces in each row. Press seams away from star point units. Join rows to make a star block; press seams toward center row. The block should be 9-1/2" square including seam allowances.
8. Repeat steps 1–7 to make eight star blocks total.
Continued on Page 4:
More to check out:
Kid’s Quilted Play Mat