Assemble Center Block
1. Sew together a white print medium triangle and a rose polka dot medium triangle to make a medium triangle-square (Diagram 1). Press seam toward rose polka dot. The triangle-square should be 3-1/2" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make a second medium triangle-square.
2. Referring to Diagram 2, join medium triangle-squares to rose polka dot 3-1/2x8-1/2" rectangle to make boat bottom unit. Press seams toward rectangle.
3. Referring to Diagram 3, join a white print extra-large triangle to a pink boat print extra-large triangle to make a right-hand sail rectangle. Press seam toward pink triangle.
4. Sew white print 1-1/2x8" rectangle to bottom edge of right-hand sail rectangle. Then sew pink tone-on-tone 1x10-1/2" strip to left side edge of sail rectangle to make a right sail section (Diagram 4). Press seams toward added rectangles.
5. Referring to Diagram 5, join white print and white polka dot large triangles to make a left-hand sail rectangle; press seam toward polka dot triangle.
6. Join white print 2x6-1/2" rectangle to bottom edge of left-hand sail rectangle. Add white print 1-1/2x6-1/2" rectangle to top edge to make a left sail section (Diagram 6). Press seams toward added rectangles.
7. Referring to Diagram 7, join sail sections to make sails unit; press seam toward pink tone-on-tone strip. Join sails unit to boat bottom unit to make pieced boat. Press seams toward boat bottom.
8. Referring to Diagram 8, sew a white print 1-1/2x14-1/2" rectangle to top of pieced boat. Press seam toward white print rectangle. Then sew white print 1-1/2x14-1/2" rectangles to side edges of pieced boat. Join pink wave print 5-1/2x16-1/2" rectangle to bottom of pieced boat and white print 1-1/2x16-1/2" rectangle to top edge to make center block. Press all seams toward added rectangles. The center block should be 16-1/2x20-1/2" including seam allowances.
9. Using thread that matches appliqués and turning under seam allowances as you go, hand-appliqué A flag and B circle to center block (Diagram 8).
Continued on Page 4:
More to check out: