1. Using a quilter’s pencil, mark a point 1-1/2" down from the upper left-hand corner and 1/2" up from the lower right-hand corner of a mottled lime green 8-1/2x11-1/2" rectangle (Diagram 1). Connect points to make an appliqué foundation with a placement line.
2. Fold a lime green novelty print A circle in half. Lightly finger-press the fold to mark the center; unfold. Fold a mottled black B handle in half lengthwise; finger-press, then unfold.
3. Place prepared A circle 1-1/2" from the left-hand edge of the prepared mottled lime green foundation, aligning circle center line with marked placement line (Diagram 2). Center prepared B handle over placement line with handle end 1/4" from the circle. Fuse both pieces in place.
4. Using black thread, machine-blanket-stitch around handle. Machine-satin-stitch on the marked diagonal line between handle and circle, then around circle to complete a lime green
5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 to make a second lime green A block.
6. Using matching-color rectangles and novelty print circle appliqués, repeat steps 1 through 4 to make two teal A blocks, two red A blocks, and two blue A blocks; use mottled gray handles for the blue A blocks.
7. Reversing the direction of the placement line, repeat steps 1 through 4 to make two lime green B blocks (Diagram 3), two teal B blocks, two red B blocks, and two blue B blocks; use the mottled gray handles for the blue B blocks.
Continued on Page 4:
More to check out: