Tic-Tac-Toe Pillow, part 2
Appliqué and Assemble Pillow Top
1. Arrange the appliqué shapes on the bright print 4-1/2"-square foundations. Fuse in place.
Using color-coordinating thread, machine-stitch around the appliqué shapes with a short, narrow zigzag stitch.
2. Referring to photograph, lay out the appliquéd squares in three horizontal rows. Join the pieces in each row, pressing the seam allowances toward the X squares. Then join the rows to make the pillow center. Press the seam allowances in one direction. The pillow center should measure 12-1/2" square, including the seam allowances.
3. Sew fuchsia print 1x12-1/2" inner border strips to opposite edges of the pillow center. Sew fuchsia print 1x13-1/2" inner border strips to the remaining raw edges of the pillow center. Press all seam allowances toward the inner border.
4. Sew lime green print 2x13-1/2" outer border strips to opposite edges of the pillow center. Sew lime green print 2x16-1/2" outer border strips to the remaining raw edges of the pillow center to complete the pillow top. Press the seam allowances toward the outer border.
Complete the Pillow
1. Layer the pillow top, batting, and muslin 22"-square lining.
2. Quilt as desired. Trim batting and lining even with the pillow top edges.
3. With wrong sides inside, fold each lime green print 16-1/2x20-1/2" rectangle in half to make two double-thick 16-1/2x10-1/4" rectangles.
4. Layer folded edges of lime green rectangles, overlapping folded edges by about 4", to make a 16-1/2" square pillow back. Baste edges together.
5. With wrong sides together, layer the pillow top and pillow back; baste in place. Use fuchsia print 2-1/2x22" strips to bind the pillow, then insert pillow form.
Continued on Page 7:
More to check out: