1. Use a pencil to mark a diagonal line on wrong side of each cream print 4" square.
2. Align a marked cream print square with one end of an orange dot 4x7-1/2" rectangle (Diagram 1; note direction of drawn line). Sew on drawn line, then trim excess, leaving a 1/4" seam allowance. Press open attached triangle, pressing seam toward triangle. In same manner, add a marked cream print square to opposite end of rectangle (Diagram 1; again note direction of drawn line). Stitch, trim, and press as before to make a Flying Geese unit. The unit should be 4x7-1/2" including seam allowances.
3. Repeat Step 2 to make four matching Flying Geese units total. Using remaining novelty prints, dots, florals, stripes, and tan cat print 4x7-1/2" rectangles, repeat Step 2 to make 32 Flying Geese units total (four matching units from each fabric).
4. Gather two sets of four Flying Geese units. Sew together one Flying Geese unit from each set to make a Flying Geese pair (Diagram 2). Press seam in one direction. The pair should be 7-1/2" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make four matching Flying Geese pairs total.
5. Referring to Diagram 3, sew together Flying Geese pairs in pairs. Press seams in opposite directions. Join pairs to make a Dutchmen’s Puzzle block. Press seam in one direction. The block should be 14-1/2" square including seam allowances.
6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 to make four Dutchmen’s Puzzle blocks total.
Continued on Page 4:
More to check out: