Materials for Two Pillows
Designers: Jean and Valori Wells 
1⁄4 yard muslin (piecing foundations)
1⁄4 yard solid light green (pieced panels, border)
1⁄4 yard solid light turquoise (pieced panels, corner triangles)
3⁄4 yard green floral (pieced panels, borders, pillow backs)
1⁄8 yard each of solid dark green, solid dark turquoise, and solid yellow (pieced panels)
Finished pillows: 12" square and 22x12"
Yardages and cutting instructions are based on 42" of usable fabric width.
Measurements include 1⁄4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order.
From muslin, cut:
From solid light green, cut:
2—2-1⁄2x18-1⁄2" border strips
2—2-1⁄2x4-1⁄2" border strips
From solid light turquoise, cut:
2—5" squares, cutting each in half diagonally for 4 triangles total
From green floral, cut:
1—12-1⁄2x22-1⁄2" pillow back
1—12-1⁄2"-square pillow back
2—2-1⁄2x22-1⁄2" border strips
2—2-1⁄2x12-1⁄2" border strips
4—2-1⁄2x8-1⁄2" border strips
From solid dark green, solid dark turquoise, solid yellow, and the scraps of solid light green, solid light turquoise, and green floral, cut:
12—6"-long strips in widths ranging from 3⁄4" to 1-1⁄2"
25—5"-long strips in widths ranging from 3⁄4" to 1-1⁄2"
Assemble Pieced Panels
1. With right side up, align an assorted solid or floral 6"-long strip with an edge of muslin 6" square. With right side down, place a second assorted strip atop first strip. Sew together through all layers (Diagram 1). Finger-press top strip open (Diagram 2). Continue adding assorted solid and floral strips until muslin square is covered; press. Trim covered muslin square to 5-3⁄4" square including seam allowances to make square pieced panel.
2. Referring to Step 1, cover muslin 5x16" rectangle with assorted solid and floral 5"-long strips. Trim to 4-1⁄2x14-1⁄2" including seam allowances to make rectangular pieced panel.
1. Sew solid light turquoise triangles to opposite edges of square pieced panel (Diagram 3). Add solid light turquoise triangles to remaining edges; press all seams toward triangles. Trim to 8-1⁄2" square including seam allowances to make square pillow center.
2. Add green floral 2-1⁄2x8-1⁄2" border strips to opposite edges of square pillow center. Add green floral 2-1⁄2x12-1⁄2" border strips to remaining edges to complete square pillow top (Diagram 4). Press all seams toward border. Pillow top should be 12-1⁄2" square including seam allowances.
3. Join solid light green 2-1⁄2x4-1⁄2" border strips to short edges of rectangular pieced panel. Add solid light green 2-1⁄2x18-1⁄2" border strips to remaining edges; press all seams toward border. Sew green floral 2-1⁄2x8-1⁄2" border strips to short edges of pillow center. Add green floral 2-1⁄2x22-1⁄2" border strips to remaining edges to complete rectangular pillow top. Press all seams toward green floral border. Pillow top should be 22-1⁄2x12-1⁄2" including seam allowances.
4. Sew each pillow top to its corresponding-size green floral pillow back, leaving an opening for turning. Turn right side out; press. Stuff with fiberfill and hand-stitch openings closed.