Inspired by Double Duty by Edyta Sitar of Laundry Basket Quilts 
Project tester: Elizabeth Tisinger Beese
1/2 yard blue button print (bag)
1/2 yard red-and-blue stripe (bag lining)
Finished purse: approximately 16" wide
Quantities are for 44/45"-wide, 100% cotton fabrics. Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
From each fabric (blue button print and red-and-blue stripe), cut:
Make Bag Body and Lining
Click on "Download this Project" for Bag Body Pattern. To make a Bag Body Pattern template, print and cut out the three full-size pattern pieces. Match pattern pieces at large dots and tape them together.
1. Fold blue button print 16x42" rectangle in half twice to make an 8x21" rectangle (Diagram 1).
2. Place Bag Body Pattern on folded rectangle and draw curved line of pattern (Diagram 2). Cut along marked line and unfold to make bag body.
3. Using red-and-blue stripe 16x42" rectangle, repeat steps 1 and 2 to make bag lining.
1. With right sides together, layer blue button print bag body atop red-and-blue stripe bag lining. Sew together along curved edges. If desired, clip 1/8" into seam allowance along curved edges so the finished handle will lie flat (Diagram 3).
2. Turn bag and lining right side out; press.
3. Referring to Diagram 4, match right sides of bag body, then match right sides of bag lining. Sew pairs of side edges together, stitching 1/4" from edges and leaving a 4" opening for turning along one seam. Press seams open or to one side.
4. Rotate bag body and lining to align the seams you just sewed (Diagram 5). Join top and bottom edges, sewing 1/4" from edges. Lightly press sides near bottom and top edges to create creases on bag body and bag lining.
5. To shape a flat bottom for bag body, at one corner match bottom seam and side crease, creating a flattened triangle (Diagram 6). Measure and mark on side crease line 1-1/2" from point of triangle. Draw a 3"-long line across triangle and sew on drawn line. Trim excess fabric, leaving a 1/4" seam allowance. Repeat at opposite corner of bag body.
6. Repeat Step 5 to shape corners on bag lining.
7. Turn bag body and lining right side out through opening. Slip-stitch opening closed. Push lining into bag body to complete reversible purse.