Inspired by Road Trip from designer Monica Solorio-Snow of Happy Zombie 
18x22" piece (fat quarter) red-and-black stripe (binding)
9x22" piece (fat eighth) black novelty print (lining)
9x22" piece (fat eighth) white novelty print (bag)
9x22" rectangle batting
7/8"-diameter button: red
1/2"-diameter button: black
Water-soluble marking pen
Finished bag: 5-1/2x4-1/2x2"
Quantities are for 100% cotton fabrics.
Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances unless otherwise indicated. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order. Click on "Download this Project" for patterns.
From red-and-black stripe fat quarter, cut:
Enough 1-1/2"-wide bias strips to total 50" in length for binding (See Cutting Diagram to cut bias strips from a fat quarter.)
Quilt and Cut Bag Pieces
1. Lay black novelty print 9x22" rectangle right side down on a flat surface. Layer 9x22" batting rectangle on top. With right side up, layer white novelty print 9x22" rectangle on batting; pin or baste layers.
2. Machine-quilt as desired to make a quilted rectangle. The featured project has parallel lines quilted 3/4" apart (Quilting Diagram).
3. Place quilted rectangle, white novelty print side up, on work surface. Referring to Diagram 1, position Bag Body Pattern and Bag Side Pattern on quilted rectangle. Using a water-soluble marking pen, trace and cut:
- 1 of Bag Body Pattern
- 2 of Bag Side Pattern
4. Using a water-soluble pen, transfer marked Xs and buttonhole guide on pattern to bag body.
Assemble and Finish Bag
1. Using diagonal seams, sew together red-and-black stripe 1-1/2"-wide bias strips to make one long binding strip. Turn under and press a scant 3/8" seam allowance on one long edge.
2. Align raw edge of binding strip with straight edge of bag body piece. Sew together using a scant 3/8" seam allowance. Trim off excess binding strip. Turn folded edge of binding strip over edge to back of bag body (Diagram 2). Hand-stitch folded edge in place with a small slip stitch to bind edge.
3. Repeat Step 2 to bind straight edges of bag side pieces.
4. Referring to Diagram 3, layer bag body and one bag side piece with black novelty print sides together, aligning corners of bag side piece with marked Xs on bag body; pin. Using a scant 3/8" seam allowance and with bag side on top, sew bag side to bag body. Repeat to add remaining bag side.
5. Fold one end of remaining binding strip under 1/2" with wrong side inside; press. Referring to Diagram 4 and using a scant 3/8" seam allowance, sew binding strip to bag body and side. When you reach the opposite side of bag from starting point, trim binding strip 1/2" beyond bag front edge and turn under 1/2". Turn folded edge of binding strip over seam allowances and hand-stitch in place as before.
6. Following the instructions in your sewing machine manual, create a 1"-diameter buttonhole on bag flap using marked buttonhole guide as reference.
7. Stack red and black buttons, and hand-stitch to bag front to complete bag.